Young children benefit from active, hands-on activities that foster scientific learning. You can inspire your little scientist’s interests by conducting this easy and fun density experiment at home! Encourage your children to ask questions, learn from their mistakes, try again, explore new activities and come up with solutions.
Click here to watch the video or check out the complete instructions below!
- Clear jar or container
- Lightly colored water (blue or green works best)
- Wooden block
- Vegetable Oil
- Bottle cap
- Corn syrup
- Plastic figurine
- Flower petal
- LEGO bricks (or other small items)
- Pour the water into the jar. Pour corn syrup into the jar. Pour the oil into jar.
- What happened to the liquids in the jar?
- Why do you think this happened?
- Make predictions about what will happen to the different objects before dropping them into the jar. Take turns dropping the objects into the jar.
- Were all of your predictions correct?
- If any predictions were not correct, why do you think the results were different from the predictions?