A few helpful tips for first-time moms and dads:
- Always place your baby on her back to sleep unless your pediatrician advises otherwise for medical reasons;
- Remember not to put bumpers and blankets in an infant’s crib;
- Be sure to childproof your home before your baby begins to crawl. Get down to a baby’s level and crawl around looking at your home from a baby’s point of view. Ensure that electrical cords and outlets are child-proof and that TVs and other electrical devices are safe;
- Make sure that an adult feeds your baby until she can safely hold her own bottle. Propping bottles can be dangerous;
- Be sure all toys are age appropriate. A great rule of thumb is that toys that fit in an empty toilet paper tube are too small for a baby;
- Remember that babies are naturally curious. Save the word “No!” for when it really matters, like when safety is concerned.