You can use apples as stamps to create fun pictures, design wrapping paper or decorate clothing like t-shirts and jeans.
- Paint (Use washable poster paint for paper prints and fabric paints for clothes.)
- Paper plates
- A printable surface
- Newspaper to protect the work surface
- Art smocks or old t-shirts
- A knife to cut the apples (for adults only)*
- Cover your work surface with newspaper and make sure everyone is wearing old clothes or a smock.
- Pour paint on the paper plates. Use one color per plate.
- Ask your child to guess what shape of half an apple will look like.
- Cut the apple in half from top to bottom to create an apple silhouette, or create a circle with a star by cutting the apple horizontally. You and your child can also brainstorm ways to create different shapes with the apple.
- Encourage your child to dip the flat side of the apple in the paint, thoroughly covering the flat surface, and then place the apple with the paint side down on the printing surface.
- Enjoy creating fun designs and pictures with your homemade stamps!
*An adult should oversee all the activities. The activities may not be appropriate for all ages.